Monday, March 16, 2009

Kea's Uncertain Future


Kea was a pure-white pitbull that was found by my landlords lying along the side of the road in South Kona.  She was malnourished, cut, scarred and looked as though somebody had tossed her out of a moving vehicle.  Taking another look at her condition, it was evident that she had recently whelped.  The condition of her teeth led me to believe that she couldn't possible be older than 3 years.

To assist with her care (and with my landlords' busy schedules) I opted to watch her for a few days.  Despite her physical condition, she was very affectionate, walked with a slack leash, and always had a "smile" on her face.  She was alert, intelligent and looked to assist me by following along in the yard while I gardened or resting by my side when I decided to take a break.  

Through no fault of her own, she lacked basic obedience training and liked to jump on you when excited.  She was also clearly not an "inside" pet as she didn't have any house manners. Because of her eagerness to please, I started working with her, beginning with the jumping habit. 

As I continued to lavish Kea with affection and positive reinforcement, my landlords informed me that a man in the area near where she was found was selling white pitbull puppies out of the back of his truck.  By the next day, word had reached this man that my landlords had "rescued" his dog and he confronted them demanding Kea's return.  As there is no law prohibiting that man from selling puppies or protecting Kea from an abusive situation, we had no choice but to return her.  It sickened me to think what terrible things may be in store for this wonderful dog, but our hands were tied. By evening on the third day, I said good-bye to Kea knowing I would never see her again.

I will never understand how people can feel justified by abusing animals.  We should all do our part by spaying or neutering our pets, making sure they receive proper vet care, and provide nourishment, protection and training.  NEVER EVER purchase pets from some "back-yard breeder" or out of the back of a pick-up truck. This only reinforces the bad behaviour of the sellers (and leads to more abuse of innocent animals).  

Her first litter sold for $300 a puppy.  I'm sure she'll be bred again to the detriment of her health and possibly that of her future offspring. When she gets to the point where she can't bear any more litters, she may once again be cast aside. I can only hope not.




No comments:

Post a Comment